Writings Photos Code Contact Resume
Nokia N810

You are here

Submitted by msameer on Fri, 19/10/2007 - 1:32pm

First post from the N810. Had to do a bit of hacking to get Arabic! can't say I'm completely happy with it in general yet.

n810_0.png

Comments

Submitted by Nero (not verified) on Fri, 19/10/2007 - 2:11pm

congratulation for the new device

awesome that you make it support Arabic

Submitted by alvaro (not verified) on Fri, 19/10/2007 - 10:40pm

willing to start hearing feedback about the new model. I own an N800 and in my ignorance it gave me a hard time to tweek anything. Specially with net-tools.

how did you manage to replace the qwerty keyboard in the 810? :p

saludos,

Submitted by msameer on Fri, 19/10/2007 - 11:28pm

I never had an N800 so I can't talk about it. But what keyboard are you talking about ?

Submitted by alvaro (not verified) on Sat, 20/10/2007 - 12:32am

well, I've seen the pics on 810 and looks to have a retractible keyboard instead of the onscreen keyboard on the N800. it was just a joke anyway.

Submitted by msameer on Sat, 20/10/2007 - 10:02am

Yup. It has a slide-out hardware keyboard attached and an onscreen one ;-)

Submitted by Khalid -- 2bits (not verified) on Sun, 21/10/2007 - 5:41pm

Yes, but does it run Drupal?

;-)

Submitted by msameer on Mon, 22/10/2007 - 1:09pm

Yup ;-)

Submitted by fahad (not verified) on Tue, 30/10/2007 - 11:20am

wow!
i have n800, how could you manage to display arabic text ?
can you give us the instructions, please.

Submitted by msameer on Tue, 30/10/2007 - 3:40pm

The browser equipped with 2007 OS doesn't support Arabic unless you are using the microb browser.

2008 OS comes with microb already so it was a matter of installing the required Arabic fonts.

I didn't release the packages yet as the OS is not out yet.

I'm not sure the packages I created will install in a straightforward way on a normal consumer device (Or 2007 OS) or not.

As Arabic for input. It's not possible now (AFAICT). I've done no work yet. I still need to see if I can.

It means that you have to - unfortunately - wait for a while.

Submitted by fahad (not verified) on Tue, 30/10/2007 - 4:54pm

i guess i have to wait :)
i only need it primary for browsing , arabic input would be extra feature.
thanks mohd :)

Submitted by Ali K (not verified) on Thu, 08/11/2007 - 3:28am

Guys, get the arabic fonts for the Nokia N800 microb browser from here:

Just install, reboot and enjoy!

Ali

Submitted by msameer on Thu, 08/11/2007 - 6:08pm

I didn't know they released it. Did you try installing it on a device not set to R&D mode ?

Submitted by Ali (not verified) on Thu, 08/11/2007 - 7:38pm

I installed it on my Nokia N800 (OS IT2007) and after rebooting it worked like a charm. I'm browsing Al-Jazeera in Arabic now.

Can't complain now anymore. I'm a happy camper :)

BTW, the RSS reader now displays arabic letters but they are not connected together.

Submitted by msameer on Thu, 08/11/2007 - 10:31pm

I don't really know. I don't want to release anything now because the N810 is not in the market yet,
I don't want people to apply anything to the N800 and start asking me about it.

But N810 (2008 OS) + fonts + rss reader worked fine for me.

Submitted by Ali (not verified) on Thu, 08/11/2007 - 11:52pm

It's logical to wait for the official release of the N810. But for now, N800 (with OS 2007) users can use these arabic fonts (http://browser-extras.garage.maemo.org/downloads.html) with the microb browser.

We might not need any extras with the OS 2008. We'll see.

Submitted by msameer on Fri, 09/11/2007 - 12:05pm

Unfortunately, you will need the extras (Or any other font package). It was me who did the font package. That's why I know (-:

Submitted by Ali (not verified) on Tue, 04/12/2007 - 3:08am

Guys, I forgot to announce my new Nokia N800 page. It contains all the steps needed to enable Arabic browsing.

Check it here:

Salam,

Ali

Submitted by Ali (not verified) on Wed, 19/03/2008 - 11:29pm

We now have an On-screen Arabic Keyboard for the Nokia N800/N810. Please check my Web Site below:

أصبح لدينا لوحة مفاتيح عربية

tyros.leb.net/nokia/n800

Submitted by Music (not verified) on Thu, 20/03/2008 - 12:20am

The fonts for the Nokia N800 are terrific. I've been waiting to get my hands on these forever! Thanks for the download link...

Awayzer

Submitted by Mario on Mon, 24/03/2008 - 10:52pm

I downloaded the keyboard, but it's not working!!! I dont know why,N800... can you help me? plz

Submitted by Ali (not verified) on Tue, 25/03/2008 - 7:56pm

On my Nokia page you will find a link for Feedback. Email me what you are experiencing to be able to help you. Don't forget to mention the error messages, firmware version, etc.

Thanks,

Ali

Submitted by airline tickets (not verified) on Thu, 27/03/2008 - 2:22am

Submitted by rami75lu on Thu, 03/07/2008 - 5:02am

Can you please help to get Arbic font installed on my n810

Regards,

Submitted by Sherri Adams (not verified) on Fri, 11/07/2008 - 12:13pm

Thanks .. this will be very helpful when I want to read in Arabic on my Nokia N800.

Add new comment