Writings Photos Code Contact Resume
CLRSpell, My first and hopefully last VC++/.NET application.

You are here

Submitted by msameer on Fri, 12/05/2006 - 9:30pm

So, The wordlist has been growing lately, We hit 250,000 words, I tried hard not to put incorrect words but a lot of incorrect words went in, Manual review doesn't seem right to me, It'll take years!

There's already an Arabic spell checker shipped with Microsoft Office 2003, Why not use it ?

I tried to do it manually but hell, No way!

I tried to discover how can it be coded, Neither VBA nor VC++ helped me, Of course it's me here as I'm not a windows developer at all.

Diaa Radwan, One of our LUG administrators and the master of talking proposed that I wait for him, He'll ask any .NET developer to do it, Long weeks with nothing from him.

BooDy, The only one I know with windows development background said that he doesn't have windows installed.

Mohammed Nabil is a sweet guy! He wrote something for me using mono, Maybe it was my stupidity that I wasn't able to compile and run it.

Now enough is enough! I'll code it, Google found something for me this time and here it is in the CVS, Now I really don't get the whole thing of .NET/CLR

I thought that you can use existing COM objects in VC++ applications and that's what I did, The point is that no COM object was available in the Visual Studio 2005 References window when I didn't enable CLR, Strange.

Now WTH is CLR ? And how can .NET tie all this ?

Did I really use .NET ? I think yes, So .NET is only the System classes and such things ? So what is CLR doing here ?

And god damn it! You have old syntax for CLR where you have to use pointers and for sure no one is using the standard C++ auto pointers, There's a new syntax where you have to use ^ instead of a *, If I understand right, The main(int argc, char *argv[]) works fine with the old syntax but not with the new!!

The problem is that most of the tutorials use pointers, They don't use the new syntax and no one is telling you about that.

No farther comment about me searching for the Microsoft::Office::Interop namespace and not finding it, How would I know that I neede to rerun the Office 2k3 setup and select .NET programmability "Sure the setup had to fail for a lot of times anbd don't ask me how!", Poor windows developers using pointers because the damn classes don't have copy constructors!

Comments

Submitted by ahmed saad (not verified) on Mon, 15/05/2006 - 3:05am

".NET" is a name that microsoft uses for so many things so as to keep people confused.. so we will ignore that for the moment..

CLR is the "common language infrastructure".. think of it as a virtual machine(like a JVM).. your C#/C++.NET/VB.NET code is compiled to an intermediate format named MSIL (think of it like the Java Bytecode) and then executed within the CLR (that translate it to native code, of course)..

and yes you can use COM components within your manageed code (managed loosely means "executed and controlled within the CLR" .. so MSIL code is managed code..

IIRC, VS.NET can generate "callable" wrappers for "any" COM component.. these wrappers make the COM component look and feel like a "managed object".. the editor can even auto-compeletes method names and all..

IIRC, the Microsoft::Office::Interop namespace provides managed code that wrapes existing office components.. so VS.NET doesn't even have to generate callable wrappers for them... and you can use them without pointers and all the ugly hacks used when interoperating with "unmanaged" (native) code..

I'm not a windows developer neither I just learned C# on VS.NET a year ago or something.. but never wrote anything beyond a utility to generate a graphic effect and some toy ADO.NET and ASP.NET apps..

why don't you use C######### ?

Submitted by msameer on Mon, 15/05/2006 - 2:42pm

Why learn C#, A crappy language ? For me, C# is like VB, I'd never learn any of.

I already know C++ so why not C++ ? ;-)

Submitted by أحمد سعد (not verified) on Fri, 16/06/2006 - 3:16pm

Well, untill VS.NET 2005, the C++.NET language had weird syntax and needed many nasty hacks to get it to work correctly.. C# is much cleaner and easier to work with (it's almost a modified clone of Java when it comes to syntax)

Submitted by Al-Basha (not verified) on Wed, 17/05/2006 - 1:13am

LOL bro why are you messin around with .NET? If you want a spell checker write something in Perl ...

Submitted by msameer on Wed, 17/05/2006 - 11:08am

You'll know if you really read what I wrote ;-)

Submitted by بيت (not verified) on Sat, 02/12/2006 - 2:32pm

Thanks..

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 02/10/2007 - 12:03am

I don't like C++ or Basic, its all in PERL BABY!

Submitted by Java Programmer (not verified) on Wed, 23/04/2008 - 2:02am

Lot of Perl supporters here, what about JAVA?!

Submitted by Ahmed Faissl on Fri, 25/04/2008 - 11:15pm

Because JNG..!
Java is Not GPL..!! ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------
It was one small step for a penguin.. one giant step for life..!

Submitted by msameer on Sat, 26/04/2008 - 11:02am