Writings Photos Code Contact Resume
katoob for windows 0.3.8+cvs20051212-win32-alpha

You are here

Submitted by msameer on Mon, 12/12/2005 - 9:03am

katoob-0.3.8+cvs20051212-win32-alpha.

This should be able to open and save files with Arabic filenames.

Comments

Submitted by phaeron@phaeron... (not verified) on Mon, 12/12/2005 - 10:12am

Too bad I don't have windows *wink* *wink*

The linux version is good enough for me :) , keep up the good work.

Submitted by Eman M (not verified) on Tue, 13/12/2005 - 9:56am

Just letting you know, I am working on it, just needs some more time
Wait for a full report :)

Submitted by msameer on Tue, 13/12/2005 - 5:54pm

Eman, Thanks!

I don't want a full report, You can do like the rest is doing here. Jus post things u don't like/things not working.....

Keep up the good work!

Submitted by Eman M (not verified) on Thu, 15/12/2005 - 12:07am

Well, I wanted to make a full report but I can't get why the time is flying away!
Here are my issues for now, I won't repeat the issues found by others :):

- Once you click on the button "Emulator" and you start writing in arabic, you can't switch back to the English language. You need to close the whole application then reopen.
However, the edit box of "Search" is the only thing that enables writing in english with changing the Keyboard shortcuts

- The file saved from Katoob doesn't have a file extension by default.

- Save a file with a name that contain numbers. Open this file again, "Bad File Descriptor". File names with numbers can't be opened. The same for special characters.

- Opening a large sized file, eats a lot of memory and hangs the machine for....minutes.
- Katoob doesn't open the .txt and .rtf files formats, although it opens the .log and .sys.

- Suggession: Applying the usage of the shortcuts Ctrl +C, Ctrl+V,

- Write a number in the "Goto Line field" and press Enter, nothing happens, the cursor doesn't go to the line specified.

- Click on "Open", don't select a file and click "Ok", the error message appears says "Permission denied". This needs to be updated to "Invalid file" or "No file selected", because "Permission denied gives a meaning of security access.

- Click "Print" (The machine doesn't have an installed printer). a DOS window opens then closes with no action displayed to the user.
A check has to be there if a printer is installed or not yet, and a message should be displayed to the user accordingly.

- In case Katoob main window is maixmixed
View -> Toolbars -> Text beside icons
The UI gets distorted: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/emanm/Toolbarintextbesideicon.jpg

If you clicked outside, it is displayed properly. It is just when it is selected from the menu.
- Also, when you select the option "Both" then the option "Text beside icons", you get blank space, http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/emanm/Toolbarafterintextbesideicon.jpg

- In the mode "Text Beside Iconcs", the icons are cut, they stop at half of "Delete"

- Suggession: We need an option of "formatting" issues, i.e. Colors, Font style and size, Bullets

P.S.: I tried to upload the images to this post, but I had an error
(Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8192 bytes) in /home/vhosts/foolab.org/www/modules/img_assist/img_assist.module on line 559)

Submitted by Ahmad Gharbeia (not verified) on Wed, 14/12/2005 - 11:22am

Here's what I found and my suggestions so far:

• The default encoding settings dialog does not reflect the saved changes. I changed the default encoding to UTF-8, closed Katoob and launched it again and it displayed the default of Arabic Windows 1256 in the settings dialog, although when I created a new file, it was encoded in UTF-8 as indicated in the status bar.
  • Maybe the default (factory) encoding should be set to UTF-8 instead on Arabic Windows.
  • The open dialog doesn't properly handle folder names pasted or typed in the filename text box. Instead of changing to the folder which name is typed, It tries to open the folder and fails. I don't know if this is the behaviour of the widget you're using
  • What mitigated the above issue was that Katoob doesn't support drag-and-drop for opening files and you know how boring browsing folders is. Is there a chance DnD can be supported?
  • Why the "./" (current folder) navigation alias in the file management windows?
  • I browsed to the proper location and I was trying to open a file with Arabic characters in the name and whose path includes a folder with an Arabic name when I got this error:
  • The instruction at "0x00402789" referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be "read".

• The next time, after I browsed to the same file and selected it for opening Katoob, informed me that the file doesn't exist and suggested to create it. The full name of the file in the two issues above is G:\Documents\طي المتصل\20040617T214207 المكتبة السكندرية السياحية.txt

I thought I sent this comment yesterday but it turned out the script had timed out!

Submitted by Ahmad Gharbeia (not verified) on Wed, 14/12/2005 - 11:30am

Here's what I found and my suggestions so far:

• The default encoding settings dialog does not reflect the saved changes. I changed the default encoding to UTF-8, closed Katoob and launched it again and it displayed the default of Arabic Windows 1256 in the settings dialog, although when I created a new file it was encoded in UTF-8 as indicated in the status bar.
  • The 'Open' dialog doesn't properly handle folder names pasted or typed in the filename text box. Instead of changing to the folder which name is typed, It tries to open the folder and fails.
  • I browsed to the proper location and I was trying to open a file with Arabic characters in the name and whose path includes a folder with a Arabic name when I got this error:

I use:

• Katoob 0.3.8+cvs20050812-win32-alpha
  • on Windows 2000 Server SP4
  • running on dual PIII 733MHz with 512MB RAM
  • with me at the keyboard and monitor

I thought I sent this comment yesterday but it turned out the script timed out!

Submitted by Eman M (not verified) on Wed, 14/12/2005 - 10:35pm

Ya Ahmad YA Gharbeia ya gamedddddddd
Eih el gamal dah :D
Eih el bugs el gamda deh? I am impressed!
Ma tegi teshta3'l m3ana? fe el software quality :)

Add new comment